Wednesday, March 21, 2007

RUNNING BLIND by Desmond Bagley

Bookgasm runs a weekly column called Bullets, Broads, Blackmail & Bombs written by Bruce Grossman I read faithfully--he writes about those old fashioned thrillers that told one hell of a story in about 200 pages. You remember those, don't you? The good old days of Alistair MacLean, Hammond Innes, Jack Higgins--before the bestseller list ruined him--and a bevvy of other talented writers who knew how to tell a story at breakneck speed and keep you thrilled the entire time.

Today Grossman has a small review of one of my favorite Desmond Bagley titles: Running Blind. Bagley wrote adventure and spy novels in--mostly--the Sixties and Seventies, and they were tough, raw, sparse and a hell of a good time. I can still remember reading Running Blind, I found it in an old paperback exchange and kept it in the glove box of my car for about a week. Everyday I would leave for work an hour early. It only took me fifteen to get there, so I had a good forty-five minutes to get lost in Bagley's world of hijinx, espionage and paranoia. I loved it.

Grossman sums up Running Blind perfectly: "I can’t stress how much of a blast this book is. If you’re a fan of this type of spy fiction, dig through your used stores for it. You won’t be disappointed at all."

You should read the review--maybe catch the one about Hopscotch by Brian Garfield as well, and then get your hands on anything Desmond Bagley. You won't regret it.

Go Here to read the review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Running Blind! One of my favourites too. I wish I could see the film the BBC made again, too bad it's not available on dvd. Back in the days I grabbed and read any Desmond Bagley book I could lay my hands on.