Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut Dead

I'm a fan of the wonderful work of Kurt Vonnegut. He could write the damndest, funniest, most compelling and illuminating fiction I have ever read. He was a passionate atheist--"I like sleep, don't you?" And his work condemned the acts of humanity without condemning humanity itself.

He showed us the silliness of organized religion, the stupidity of the military complex, the graft that is often capitalism, but most importantly he taught us that we could witness the most hideous, brutal and ugliness of our own humanity and find something to laugh about. I don't recall the words, but I once read Vonnegut believed humor was a biologically instilled mechanism of survival. And damn if I don't think he was right.

So he goes...

You will be missed Mr. Vonnegut. (1922 - 2007)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was a master.