Monday, May 11, 2009

Hubble Space Images: Deep Space

I often lose myself on the NASA website browsing Hubble and other space images. The images capture my imagination and wonder. They remind me how vast and beautiful both the universe and our place in it is. The images also remind me how much I enjoyed science fiction as a kid. I read Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, John Brunner, Philip K. Dick, Harlan Ellison, and many, many others.

I don't read science fiction as much as I once did, but the Hubble images remind why I did and still do. It's the vision of beauty and hope much of the genre provides, but more importantly it is the vastness of wonder and knowledge. The adventure and the grandness that humanity can accomplish.

Here are a few of the photographs that caught my attention. I hope you enjoy each as much as I do.

Supernova 199D Galaxy NGC 4526


Spiral Galaxy Hubble Utlra Deep Field


Spiral Galaxy M100


Close-up of Galaxies from Hubble Ultra Deep Field


NGC 3021

No comments: